Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A letter to my daughter...

Dear Avery,

I hope this letter finds you well. You seemed a bit gassy at breakfast this morning, so I hope you don't have a tummy ache. I just thought I'd write you a letter to tell you about some of the things I am looking forward to in our journey together. You could think of it as my "Daddy Bucket List." Some are very small things, and some are very large, but all hold a place in my heart, even though they haven't happened yet.

I've noticed you have been rolling over more lately. That's just marvelous. I can't wait to chase you around the house while you scream and laugh uncontrollably. I might even make up some scary monster names like my dad did for me. Wally Monsterally, Cheechie Muchacho, and Gaga Moonkaka were some bad dudes in my day. I know you'll fall and bump your head, but I will always try to be there to give your owie a kiss.

You've also been talking quite a bit lately, if yelling and babbling incoherently can be considered talking. I didn't want to mention this, but seriously, use some words already. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to our first conversation. I can't wait to hear about all of your hopes, dreams, fears, and anything else that may be on your mind. Just know that no matter what the subject is, daddy will always be there to listen.

The other day we changed your formula, and it turned your poop the color of an old army tent. It smelled like one, too. I sure can't wait until you can deposit those somewhere other than in your pants. In the mean time, would it kill you to keep a straight face while I'm cleaning these diaper bombs up? I feel like your sole purpose for pooping is to laugh as I clean it up.

Seeing you in your baptism dress, and seeing how beautiful you looked, made me think of the other dresses I  look forward to seeing you in. One of those is a wedding dress. I can't wait to walk you down the aisle. I am sure the person you choose will be right for you in every way, and they will treat you like the princess you are.

To keep this letter fairly short and readable, I'll switch to a list format. These are just some random things I am looking forward to. Reading together, playing catch, fishing (I expect you to bait your own hook and take fish off the line), snuggling, your first day of school, graduation, swimming lessons (we'll let mom handle those), teaching you to backflip off the diving board, chores, and telling your daddy how much you love him.

These are just a few of the things I am eagerly anticipating. In just three short months, you and your brother have changed my life more than I could have imagined. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us.

Love,

Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment